Monday 25 March 2019

Sensory Play Setup and Ideas



After a couple of weeks of researching on sensory play and reading about its benefits and gathering some simple items from around the house, I have finally put together a dedicated sensory bin for the Mini. I have been weary of sensory bins as I was afraid of the mess! But then, after reading on how good it is for little ones and understanding how to teach them to contain the mess, I decided to give it a try. It's been a few weeks now and am so very glad I decided to go for it.


I am no expert in this, but after I put in so much effort into planning this, I really wanted to document some simple pointers that works well for us when we do sensory activities or play with our sensory bins. It's definitely worth the effort!


  • Dedicated Storage: A big transparent shallow box is great for play and for storing all the little sensory play items. I store the different play items in individual ziploc bags. I store this box away, out of sight under the bed when not in play.
  • Rice: I bought a few kilos of the least expensive rice I could find and have kept it only for sensory play. If stored well (in ziploc bag), I understand it can last for years!
  • Play Setup: I always setup our sensory bins in our balcony, as there is a lot of open space. And I layout a plastic sheet below the bin to allow for easy cleanup and to allow him a boundary beyond which he shouldn't spill.
  • Set Basic Ground Rules: Just before we begin play, I always remind him of few rules around sensory play. Like, to be careful and to not spill. To play only with the items I have set up and not include more toys in the bin. I play with him to demonstrate and repeat and remind him of the rules as we play.
  • Limit Play Time: I set up the sensory bin/setup for him once in a few days and invite him to play for a limited time. 45-60 mins has been our time so far, after which I tell him it's time to put it away and bring to his notice another toy/activity that he's very fond of.
  • Simple Variations: We try and do a variety of simple sensory play activities with slight variations. Initially I plan to set up the bins/activities for him in rotation and eventually, will let him choose what he wants to do.

It delights me to see him happily explore and play while also follow instructions. The textures, the movement, the feel of the various elements, he explores them all and enjoys the whole experience. It is a joy to watch his little self at play!



The more sensory play we do, he is learning to get more careful and conscious of not making a mess. He was with both bins for a good one hour after which I put them away. I can now leave him unattended for a few minutes while he's at play, and get some work done!

He looks forward to sensory play lately and its heartwarming to see him run towards our dining room window after he comes home from school, and peep into the balcony to see what 'sesory been' I have set up for him! The effort involved is worth it all.



Sensory Play Setup

Storage: I use a 35 litre transparent box with lid for storage and play. 


When not being used for play, all the sensory play items and accessories go into the box, packed in separate little ziploc bags. When in need for play, I put away the accessories not in use and open up only the items we plan to play with.


Sensory Play Items: I keep aside random objects from around the house or from his own play items that I feel I can use for sensory play. I store them all in individual ziploc pouches for easy access.


  • Toy construction vehicles 
  • Scooping spoons, sand kit set 
  • Play trees 
  • Cookie cutters for play dough
  • Wooden craft items for hide and find play in rice bin.
  • Moulds for kinetic sand (that I plan to make in future)
  • Foam letters and wooden numbers for hide and find play in rice bin.
  • Toy animal

  • Cups, bowls, ice cube trays
Sensory Play Ideas:

Here are a few variations in sensory play that we have done so far. I will update this list as and when we do more sensory play.
  • Rice Bin - Construction Vehicles Play: Got these mini vehicles in a local store, they are just perfect for our rice bin. I ask him to play only with these toys in the bin and not bring any of his other bigger toys. Has worked so far! 
  • Artificial Grass Mat - Farm Setup: So this is a doormat that I got from Amazon for just around ₹200 and I absolutely love how real it feels. I give him his toy animals and tractors and he starts singing 'Old Mcdonald' as he plays in his own little farm! Perfect sensory setup for pretend play.
  • Play Dough Board: I set up our white board and place on it our homemade playdough of different colours, rolling pin, cookie cutters, tooth picks googly eyes, pasta.
  • Rice Bin - Scooping Station: I put in an ice cube tray, chocolate box tray, some spoons of different shapes and sizes, empty cups and and a tiny funnel into our rice bin.
  • Animal Bath Station: a plastic bin with water and a tiny bit of bubble bath solution and toy animals dumped in it, a squirter bottle with plain water, a little bowl to rinse off the animals (I had a tiny bathtub from a set I bought ages back!) and a towel.
  • Rainbow Rice Bin: a plastic bin, with rice coloured with food coloring, cups, spoons, bottles to scoop, fill and play with and of course the all time favourite mini construction vehicles.
  • Rainbow ABC Hunt: a plastic bin, with rice coloured with ABC puzzle pieces buried in the rice bin for the little one to search, pick and fit onto the puzzle board.

No comments:

Post a Comment