Monday 15 April 2019

Popsicle Sticks - Upper and Lower Case Letters Match



The first activity that we did around upper and lower case identification was the one with building blocks. It was a fun little DIY that the Mini loved and I give that activity credit for actually helping him identify most of the lower case letters. 

So, ever since then I wanted to do a few more activities around the different cases and finally got around setting this one up. It is a simple DIY and can be easily made with items available around the house. I love cardboard box DIYs and this is one of the easiest of them all!




You can use simple plain coloured popsicle sticks for this, but I had fancy coloured ones and I loved the pop of colour they brought in to the set up as a good contrast to the brown of the cardboard box. So, its not a must that you use coloured popsicle sticks here, but if you like pretty things like me... try to get them! :D They should be available in most stationery supply stores.




This activity not only helps in upper and lower case letter identification and association, it also helps work on the fine motor skills of those little hands pushing the popsicle sticks through the slots on the cardboard. Mini had a lot of fun doing this over and over and after almost 6 months, he still enjoys playing with this DIY :)


Things needed:
  • An empty cardboard box, 
  • Popsicle sticks, 
  • Hobby Knife
  • Marker pen.

How I made it:
  • I first wrote uppercase A-Z on the cardboard box, uniformly positioned across the box.
  • Then, using a hobby knife, made little horizontal slots below each letter.

  • Using a marker pen, I wrote the lower case letters (a-z) on popsicle sticks, one on each stick. I wrote them on both sides on the top end of the sticks.
  • Finally, I placed the 26 popsicle sticks in a tray. Presented the tray and the box to him.




  • Asked the Mini to pick the popsicle sticks one by one, match the lower case letter written on it to the matching upper case letter written on the box and insert the popsicle sticks into the corresponding slots.



No comments:

Post a Comment