Monday 25 March 2019

Name Hunt and Clip | Name Recognition Game


For the last couple of months, my little boy has been showing a lot of interest in spelling his name. He has a cushion cover that I had sewn for him with his name appliqued onto it. That was where I first noticed his interest in reading the letters of his name when he kept pointing and calling out each of the letters of his name. 


So, I wanted to set up an activity that involved his love to spell out his name and his fondness for cloth clips! This game was set up when the little fellow was napping one day. It took me all of 15 minutes or so to prep it up. Just some cloth line clips, paper and pen is all that you need for this game. 

I tried it with multiple names/simple words in different colours and the entire list in just one colour to see if it makes any difference. It didn't seem to. I plan to try this in lower case and a mix of cases next time. He found the wooden clips too hard, so we switched to plastic ones 


After doing it a couple of times over, he wanted to find my name... So he went ahead and pinned clips against my name on the other side of the paper strip! 

If you have a little one who loves reading out his/her name or is just about beginning reading, this game is for you! Try it out :)



How We Played:

  • In a few strips of paper, I wrote a mix of names (his, mine and and his Dad's), a mix of simple words and his name. I wrote in different colours in a few strips and in black in a few strips, just to give some variation to see if it makes any difference to him.


  • I handed out one strip to him and gave him a bowl full of clips and asked him to spot his name from the list. We read each word/name out together by spelling it. Each time he found his name, he clipped a clip on the paper at that spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment