Tuesday 14 May 2019

Egg Carton Colour Match Game | Toddler Games


I love it when I get to re-purpose Mini's old toys and find newer ways to use them. That way, an old ignored toy gets a new life and garners new interest to be played with. 

In this DIY game, I recycled one of his early toddler toys. I had got him a set of lacing discs which he showed absolutely no interest in back then. Lacing never interested him and I have since then just kept away the entire set not knowing what else I could do with it.


A few months ago, I took the set out and used it for a super fun Shape Sorting Fishing Game which the Mini really took to and enjoyed. I was glad I was finally able to use the lacing discs in some way. We have since used them for simple sorting activity based on shape and colour. 


He loves colours in general and anything to do with colours! So, when I found a fine motor skills activity idea on Pinterest using egg cartons, I just knew I had to base it around colours for my little fellow. Using inputs from the post to prep up the egg carton with skewers, I added in a colour dimension and made it a colour sorting activity for him.


It took me all of 20-25 minutes to make this and kept the little fellow busy for a good amount of time. Along with the straight forward colours, I also coloured one slot in multi-colours just to get him thinking! He worked his way around sorting the coloured discs based on the colours around the skewers and took a while to figure out what went onto the multi-coloured slot :) Soon he decided random discs go onto that slot began stacking discs of different colours onto it.




Things Needed:
Egg Carton (with lid)
Skewer Sticks 
Colour Pens
Glue
Cello-tape
Buttons | Shape Sorter Discs | Lacing Beads


How I made it:
  • First, I cello-taped the egg carton shut such that the lid cannot be opened.
  • Using the sharp end of the skewer, I made holes on each of the pointed tips of the egg slots of the closed egg carton. And tucked in a skewer into each hole.
  • Added a drop of glue at each hole to hold the skewer in place.

  • Using marker pens, I coloured the egg carton, around each skewer. A different colour around each skewer.
  • I had 5 coloured discs and had six slots so I coloured the 6th one in multi colours.


  • That is it! Now, I just presented the egg carton and a box full of lacing discs to the little one and allowed him to decide which disc goes around which skewer. 
  • It took him a while to figure out what goes into the multi-coloured slot, but once he did most of the discs ended up in the multi coloured skewer slot! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment