Tuesday 23 April 2019

DIY Rainbow Rice | Coloured Rice for Sensory Play


I have seen multiple posts on Instagram on rainbow rice and every time I itched to make my own for my little fellow. Rainbow rice is nothing but plain rice grains, dyed with colour. Some use food colour while some just use acrylic colour. I was vary of using acrylic colours for this, so opted to go with my trusted gel food colours and just loved the colours I got in my rice grains.


I knew my boy would love it, especially since he has been introduced to rice bin and loves it... and is also a huge fan of all things colourful. Rainbow rice is a beautiful combination of both! Just like regular rice bin, the play option for rainbow rice bins are endless. It is more or less the same as regular rice bin, except this is so incredibly colourful and appeals to the visual senses!


It is super easy to make and if stored well, can last years over so many play sessions. It has been about 2 months now since I made ours and it is still as good as new. I store the coloured rice in Ziploc bag once done with play and keep it away. Make sure you don't get it wet as that may spoil the rice. If it does get wet, dry it out completely before storing it away.

Things Needed:
Rice
Food Colouring - I used Wilton Gel food colours.
Vinegar
Ziploc bags


Procedure:
  • Split the rice into tiny portions (as many colours as you want) and put them into little ziploc bags.
  • Add in a drop of food colouring and a little (1/2-1 tsp) of vinegar and mix well.
  • Massage the bag and move the rice around within the bag to ensure every grain is completely covered in the colouring.
  • Repeat this for all the portions of rice with different colours.


  • Spread the coloured rice portions onto a separate plates and allow to completely dry. This may take a couple of hours.

  • Finally pack them in their individual Ziploc bags and store it away until ready for play.


 Once these pretty colours are mixed during play, they are no longer going to be individual coloured rice, but a beautiful rainbow coloured rice which you can store in a bigger Ziploc bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment