Sunday 10 March 2019

DIY Sound Cylinders



Here is a simple sound matching activity that I set up for the Mini a few months back. These little boxes are actually building blocks encasing different types of lentils within! The objective of this activity is to find one red and one blue cylinder that make the same sound and pair them together. 

This is like a simple DIY version of the Montessori Sound Boxes. I am no expert in Montessori teaching and so have no idea on how such activities are explained or presented to the child. 


I just laid the boxes together on a little wooden tray and explained to him how to match the cylinders based on sound. He seemed to have understood the concept and I was pleasantly surprised to see him match the similar sounding boxes at first go! :) It is a lovely little game to sharpen the memory and also to work on the auditory senses of little ones.

Things Needed
Building Blocks (Single Piece) - 8 Blue and 8 Red
Lentils / Kitchen Supply of different types - I used Pasta, Mustard, Moong Dal, Kidney Beans, Split Urad Dal.
Cellophane Tape

How I made it:
  • Put a little bit of each of the food item in one red and one block.
  • Closed each of the block with another block of the same colour and taped the point where they meet.I got 4 pairs of red and blue cylinders.
  • Now, I placed them all on a board, jumbled up. I picked up one red cylinder, shook it and we listened to the sound it made. Then, I took a blue cylinder and shook it to see if the sound it made was the same as the one the red cylinder made. If yes, then I put the pair aside, if no, I kept the blue cylinder back and picked another one till I found the blue cylinder which made the same sound as the red cylinder.



This goes on till we had all the cylinders in pairs of one red and one blue.



No comments:

Post a Comment