Monday 26 April 2021

Introduction to Addition ➕ a DIY maths busy box.


A few months ago, something came up that made me show the Mini simple addition using my fingers. He was so mesmerized by 'plus' that he requested for a 'plus activity!'.


As much as I was delighted that he understood how I set up activities based on his interests 😀, I didn't want to, as he is yet to learn the concept of addition at school. I usually prefer going in pace with his teachers.


But next day, as soon as he came back from school, he asked if I had set up the 'plus activity'! 😁 Well then, follow the child they say! So, I set this maths busy box for him. I wanted to keep it as simple and straight forward as possible.


Here is how I made it:

➕ I hot glued two cardboard tubes on the inside of the lid of a cardboard box. Painted one tube red and one blue.
➕ Made little cards with addition problems, with first number in red and second number in blue.
➕ He had to put pebbles into the two tubes corresponding to the numbers in the card and count all the pebbles in the box to get the total. Finally, place the right wooden number on the answer section of the card.



He was thrilled with his 'Plus Box' and I loved how easy it was to make and how everything fits perfectly in that little box! It's going to be a perfect busy box to carry along for travel.






No comments:

Post a Comment