Wednesday 3 April 2019

Pompom and Muffin Tray Counting Activity


Transferring activities are a huge hit with toddlers. They love transferring things from one container to another, one place to another. My boy is no different and has always enjoyed moving things around. We have done a lot of transferring activities before. 


This time around, I introduced tongs to him to enhance his pincer grip. As a preschooler, he is gearing up to soon begin writing and the usage of tongs is one of the many little activities that help the little hands to get ready to start writing. They help strengthen the finger muscles and pincer grip that is needed to hold a writing tool, the right way.


Also, I gave a structure to the transfer activity this time by combining it with some basic counting. My Mini knows his numbers well. But associating the quantities to each number is something he is just about learning. So these days I try to give him a lot of simple fun counting activities to help him understand the association between a number and the quantity it defines. 


This fun transferring activity requires him to associate the number written on the muffin tray with the number of pompoms he is required to fill each slot with. All along while using the tiny tongs! It was a huge hit with him and he enjoyed doing this over and over again. Easy to put together and perfect for little ones just beginning to learn counting. Have fun! :)




How I Set it Up:
  • I used two 6-slotted muffin trays for this and 12 muffin tray liners. I wrote numbers 1-12 on each liner and placed them in the muffin trays.
  • Then, I dumped all our pompoms in a little basket and presented it to the little fellow along with tiny tongs. 

  • I just let him explore the setup first and asked him to count the number on the first slot and pick up pompoms accordingly using his tongs and place them in the slot. He repeated this till he filled up all the slots in the muffin trays.






No comments:

Post a Comment