Sunday 29 April 2018

DIY Picture Matching Activity with Flip Covers


With a young toddler a home, there was this time at home when I had collected so many wet wipes flip covers that I began looking for DIY ideas just so that I could use these up!! :D I loved how sturdy these flip lid covers were and did not have heart to discard them once the wipes packet was empty. So had hoarded almost a dozen at one point!

On one such ideas hunt on Pinterest, I chanced upon a very simple and interesting memory game board that was created using similar flip covers. I tweaked the idea to suit the materials I had at hand and to suit my little boy's interest. 


At 19 months, I did not expect him to understand the concept of finding matching images and actually match them. I just wanted him to experience the joy of flipping open the lids, finding colourful stickers under each, explore and just have fun! And fun he did have! :)


I used a few craft paper, some foam stickers and some glitter stickers to create a couple of different work sheets. It did keep him entertained and curious for a while and in the process helped develop his concentration and also gross motor skills.

Things Needed
Wet Wipes Flip Covers - 8
Transparent Filing Sheet - 4 (or as many worksheets as you wish to make)
Foam Stickers, Glitter Stickers
Glue (I used Fevicol MR, however I would suggest you try with a glue gun if you have one. After a few attempts of trying to open the lid, some of them came off!)
Cello Tape
Scissors

Procedure
  • Arrange the wet wipes lid in order on a transparent filing sheet such that you have them evenly spaced out.

  • Glue the lids onto the filing sheet. One all are done, keep a heavy book over this and and keep aside for a few hours for the glue to set in well.


  • Place a white A4 paper exactly under the filing sheet and make note of the openings of the lid. Stick stickers, two of a kind in random order on the white sheet, such that they show up when the flip lid is opened.


  • Make a few more such sheets with stickers of different types and colours.

  • You are all set to entertain your toddler! :)


For now my boy is happy with just flipping open the covers and looking inside to see the pictures and feel their texture. Am sure soon he will understand the matching activity involved sheets :)



There you go... one flip cover came away into his chubby hand! :D Will try and fix that up with glue gun next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment